Gatorade announced on December 7 that Cade Klubnik, a Clemson and Austin Westlake High School football player, is the 2021-2022 Gatorade Texas football player of the year.
Now in its 37th year, the award recognizes a Texas high school football plane that exhibits features such as:
- Exceptional sporting excellence
- High standards of academic achievement
- Exemplary character displayed on and off the pitch
Klubnik’s field achievements include:
- Leading the Chaparrals to a 13-0 record, a No.2 nationwide ranking in the USA TODAY Super 25 and a place in the quarterfinals of the State 6A-II tournament
- Complete 147 of 207 passes for 2,486 yards and 34 touchdowns, with two interceptions in 13 games
- Rushing for 362 yards and 11 touchdowns on 52 carries
- Named USA TODAY Offensive Player of the Year as a junior and MVP of the Elite 11 quarterback competition
- Selected to play at the 2022 All-American Bowl
- Ranked as the nation’s No. 1 quarterback rookie in the class of 2022 by 247Sports
Off the field, Klubnik has volunteered locally on behalf of Special Olympics programs and youth sports and maintained an A class average. He also signed a national letter of intent to play football through a scholarship to Clemson University in the fall of 2022.
In addition to being named the best high school football player in Texas, Klubnik will also be a finalist for the Gatorade National Football Player of the Year, which will be announced in December.
For more information, visit playeroftheyear.gatorade.com.