After a two-year hiatus, Swinburne University of Technology is proud to be the first university in Victoria this year to welcome prospective students to a campus open day on Sunday July 31, 2022.
Swinburne will roll out the welcome mat at its Hawthorn campus, giving attendees the opportunity to:
- meet teaching staff, current students and cutting-edge technology, including astronomer Professor Alan Duffy and industrial robot Kuka
- explore the innovative high-tech facilities at the dual-sector facility
- discover courses and potential careers in an interactive and engaging way
- be immersed in Swinburne’s unique cosmopolitan Hawthorn campus and get a taste of student life.
Biggest open house to date
To celebrate its return to campus, this year’s Swinburne Open Day is set to be the biggest yet, with nearly 300 events and activities planned for the date.
Swinburne Vice-Chancellor and Chair Professor Pascale Quester says the university is delighted to open its campus to showcase its next-generation spirit.
“We look forward to sharing our campus in person with prospective students, their families and friends,” says Professor Quester.
“We’ve had incredible engagement with students through our award-winning virtual campus, Swintopia, but nothing beats the on-campus experience as students are guided by our world-class teaching staff to push the boundaries where people and technology work together to build a better world.”
For the first time in two years, there will be campus tours, refreshments, live music and giveaways. Prospective students, their families and friends will also experience a variety of engaging activations designed to showcase Swinburne’s next generation spirit.
Some of the Swinburne Open Day activations include:
- All the technology on deck: Showcasing the capabilities of many of Swinburne’s advanced tools and technologies.
- next generation talks: Leveraging Swinburne’s industry relationships, key experts will share inspiring discussions on the present and future of their industries.
- HI Hub: Interactive Human Intelligence (HI) Hubs located throughout campus with current students available to help guide and plan attendees’ day.
- Swintopia [AR]: Swinburne Virtual Campus Swintopia comes to life. Lively ‘Swintopians’ take guests on a campus tour and learn facts about Swinburne, tips on campus life and more.
- earthquake simulator: The only technology in the southern hemisphere capable of simulating a bridge during an earthquake.
- Innovation Challenge: Brainstorm solutions to prepare humanity for the next pandemic and learn about Swinburne’s new Bachelor of Applied Innovation.
- Neuroimaging: Cutting-edge research from the Swinburne Neuroimaging Center to help better understand the human brain.
- We will print this city: The future of construction at the Digital Construction Lab in action with Swinburne’s 3D concrete printers.
A experiment in technology, innovation and entrepreneurship, the Swinburne Open Day will showcase the wide range of courses offered at the university in 17 areas of study, including business, computing, cybersecurity, design, engineering, law, psychology, science and more – all upgraded to meet the needs of the jobs of the future.
Professor Quester says: “As a prototype of a new and different university, we are innovative and provide our students with world-class learning opportunities, using the latest technology.
“At Swinburne, we are not only preparing our students for the workforce of the future, we are preparing the next generation of leaders, visionaries, challengers and entrepreneurs who will shape the future in a variety of professions – including some probably don’t even exist yet.”
This year Swinburne celebrates 30 years as a university. It marks decades of pioneering education and innovation in transformative technologies, entrepreneurship, aerospace and medical technology, and a youthful and agile approach to learning for today’s world.
Swinburne’s Open House will take place on Sunday, July 31, 2022 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at its Hawthorn campus. For more information and to register, go to www.swinburne.edu.au/openday